Important!!! Please Read: Absence and Tardy Policy
- All absences must be reported on a daily basis to Marshall’s 24 hour attendance line. (537-2431 x1)
- An unverified absence = an unexcused absence.
- We are funded by the state on the basis of each child’s attendance and only accrue funding on the days she/he is present at school. A student is only legally excused from school when the absence is for one of the following reasons:
- Personal illness or injury (absences due to illness that are more than 3 days should be verified by a doctor note)
- Quarantine under the direction of the county or health officer (note required)
- Medical, dental, optometry, or chiropractic services (note required)
- Attendance at funeral services for a member of the immediate family
- Exclusion for failure to present evidence of immunization
- Exclusion from school because student is the carrier of a contagious disease.
See handbook page 5 for additional absences that require approval of the Principal. Vacation is not an excused absence.
- Education code section 48260 – Any pupil subject to full-time education or compulsory education who is absent from school without a valid excuse for more than 3 days in one school year is truant and shall be reported to the attendance supervisor or the superintendent of the school district. An unexcused Tardy in excess of 30 minutes is considered an unexcused absence. Three or more will result in Truancy and reported to the attendance supervisor or the superintendent of the school district as well.
- If a student is going to be absent for at least 5 days, the parent may get an Independent Study contract at least 1 week prior to leaving (This is optional).
- Attendance office/Principal/teacher must approve.
- All work must be turned in on the required due dates on the contract. (or it can become void)
- Once the Independent Study is completed and approved, the student will receive ADA credit. (for all days approved by teacher)
- The State sees Independent Study as being in school, so it’s extremely important to follow/complete the contract.
- If not complete, the days absent from school = unexcused absences = Truancy
- First bell is 8:05. School starts at 8:10. Students who arrive late must report to the attendance office. Students who are in grades K-2 must be signed in by a parent or guardian.
- If your student is tardy due to a doctor/dental appointment, please obtain a note from them and report to the attendance office when they arrive at school.
(See page 5 of the student handbook for general attendance procedures)
If you have any questions about Attendance you may contact the office at 510-537-2431 x4350